Saturday, September 6, 2008

Give and it shall be given unto you

In the bulletin at mass this week, I read a poem that touched me and helped to ground me. I hope it sparks a small flame of inspiration inside of you, as it did for me.

The Joy of Unselfish Giving
Time is not measured by the years that you live
But by the deeds that you do and the joy that you give…
And each day as it comes brings a chance to each one
To love to the fullest, leaving nothing undone
That would brighten the life or lighten the load
Of some weary traveler lost on life’s road…
So what does it matter how long we may live
If as long as we live we unselfishly give.

Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over…Luke 6:38


Lately I have been thinking...what have we received that has not been given to us?





O yeah, While running errands the other day, I heard Hanson's Mmbop on the car radio in Jamaica...yes Mmbop in Jamaica ON THE RADIO....I was shocked and THRILLED, so I rolled down the windows, blasted the radio and rocked out to this wonderful surprise...If you know me well, you know this could make my day/ week and it so did...woo hoo... BIG UP JAMAICA!!!

So it got me to thinking about how I have been here for almost two months...wow, almost two months in another country living out what I thought I could never do. This is nuts. This is surreal. This is my life. And I love it. But more importantly, as I sang the words to this fantastic song, I thought about the lyrics and thought, "I've been here for almost two months, and in an mmbop it will be gone..." (haha yes, i did just quote hanson and you LOVED IT!)

I have been incredibly busy with the beginning of the school year but will soon be updating my blog with a few great stories and some pictures when I have more time on the internet! I promise!

....and please watch this video, it touched my heart and brought tears to my eyes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adYbFQFXG0U

3 comments:

James-Nguyen.com said...

Mmmm bop...bah duh bah duh...you're such a dork...bah duh bah duh...mmm bop.

lol - glad to see you're having a good time down in Jamaica! :)

Tim said...

you can't quote hanson and still be taken seriously, it just doesn't work that way. and you just outed yourself as a hanson fan. so someday when you decide to run for political office, they will dig this post up and launch a smear campaign.

also, that was a very cute video. to be honest, i was totally expecting those guys to get mauled, kind of like how the grizzly man was eaten by a bear, but was pleasantly surprised.

anyway, glad to hear all is well. congrats on 2 months down!

Samantha said...

Ohhh Amber.. i'm so glad you were able to get your Hanson fix in Jamaica... lol. I watched your video, and I cried. Like for serious. I had one of my rescued kittens (Binx) on my lap and it really hit home for me. Thanks for that! Above all, I miss you terribly, and I'm religiously (no pun) saving my pennies so that I may be able to afford a discount flight to lovely kingston after the holiday! Also.. expect a Sam Queen Care package sooon! Love you!