Monday, August 4, 2008

June 26, 2008

During my three week orientation in Pittsburgh over the summer, we were asked to write our own personal mission statement for the year. This was a challenging task and after much thought and reflection, I came up with the following mission statement, unique to my own goals and perspectives. Initially, I was not going to post this because it is very personal. However, I feel this statement sheds light on my preconceived notions and goals regarding my volunteer experience, which will help to shape how I interpret the year as a whole.

My Mission Statement

Go to the people.
Live with them.
Learn from them.
Love them.
Start with what they know.
Build with what they have.
But with the best leaders,
When the work is done,
The task accomplished,
The people will say
“We have done this ourselves.”
Lao Tsu- China 700 BC

My mission statement will be used as a reference tool to myself throughout the year to reflect on how I saw the world, interpreted the world, and loved the world pre-Jamaica in the summer of 2008. I expect this view to change as I learn and grown, for we are always learning and growing individually and collectively in response to this beautiful journey of life.

I found this quote in one of my favorite books, Love Poems from God (thank you Elyse)

"When you meet a person, you say to them, “Love Me”, maybe not aloud, but we all have this inherent desire to connect." As I embark on this journey in Jamaica, I will keep this quote in mind as a guide to help me in relationship, in prayer, and in life.

My Goals in Relationship: To-

  • Focus on feeling, not fixing
  • Look deep into the being of each individual to foster conversation of mind and heart as an act of living in solidarity with the people of Jamaica
  • Empower individuals and groups through respecting the dignity of every person
  • Be honest with myself and others to reflect on my worldviews and how this experience has challenged or confirmed them

My Goals in Prayer: To-

  • Let myself fall into the hands of God and believe and trust in Gods will as an indescribable mystery
  • Be aware of the moments God has been creative to make me smile
  • Enjoy the living tapestry God has laid out in order to find peace and beauty amongst pain and suffering
  • Have patience and allow my life to unfold as God pleases through his will

My Goals in Life: To-

  • Make frequent acts of love
  • Treat each day as a lifetime
  • Love the earth. To imagine the fullness of life. To not tire of hope. To desire to fail. To envision justice and mercy.
  • Recognize my small contribution as a part of a larger movement of peace and love.
  • Take time to pause and notice.

My mission statement is what I will use throughout the year to regroup and refocus when I feel lost, hopeless or discouraged. I will use it as an aim and it is a work in progress, for I cannot imagine that in my year of service I will live out each goal fully. Instead, it is stating that which I strive to be.

I feel the goal I will have the most difficulty with falls in my prayer life. I am a practicing Catholic, and I will attend mass twice a week while here in Jamaica (once at the main church in Stony Hill and once at my mission church in Devon Pen). However, regarding my actual true beliefs, I am still working to find what feels right to me.

1 comment:

Elaine said...

Dear Amber,
Two Words --- INCREDIBLY PROUD!!!!!

LOVE YOU
MISS YOU
Mom